Sunday, 1 March 2015

Tiers of Joy

The prospect of afternoon tea is one that never fails to excite me. What could be better than tasty sandwiches and sweet treats arranged delicately on a three-tiered display?! It was my Auntie’s 60th birthday this week, so we thought it a suitable occasion to go all out on an afternoon tea. We visited Perrywood garden centre in Tiptree, Essex (where they make the jam) and it was such a delicious treat that I had to share it here.



We started off on the bottom tier where we had four types of sarnie: cheese and plum chutney, beef and horseradish, salmon and cream cheese and ham and tomato chutney. YUM.
The middle tier was dedicated to a fruit scone accompanied by Tiptree jam (of course) and a whooole load of clotted cream and butter. Even more yum.



The top layer went above (literally) and beyond the other two layers with a baileys truffle, dainty Florentine, warm apple crumble and custard, orange Victoria sponge and a lemon mousse. And we polished off the lot (barring the leaves- nobody eats those!). I was intrigued to find out if many people do finish off the whole lot, as the waitress had presumptively handed us takeaway boxes for our ‘leftovers’. I think we may have impressed her, as she said that it’s not often customers clear the three plates. I don’t know if I was proud or embarrassed at my gastric capacity.




Seeing as I’m on the subject, here’s another two afternoon tea set-ups that I have enjoyed. The top one is from Let There be Crumbs in Roker, Sunderland, and the bottom one is from a little further along the coast at the Marriott hotel in Seaburn, Sunderland. Both delicious! I’m trying to give up sweet treats for March (not lent, just a month to see if I can actually do it!). I guess this is my way of bidding farewell to sugary goodness- let’s see how long I’ll last! 





No comments:

Post a Comment